Website Cape International Inc
Empowering Change Transforming lives
Title: Sous Chef (NOC 62200)
Permanent employment, Ful time 30 to 40 hours/week
Day, Early morning, evening, overtime, shift, weekend
Nestled in the scenic embrace of a renowned culinary destination that marries breathtaking views with a celebration of Newfoundland and Labrador’s rich culinary heritage. We are excited to invite applications for a talented Sous Chef, a role pivotal in enhancing our kitchen’s ability to deliver an exceptional dining experience. This position showcases our region’s local flavours and ingredients, bringing them to the forefront of every dish.
The Role: As a Sous Chef, you will play a crucial role in our kitchen operations. Your expertise will not only be utilized in overseeing various cooking stations, including the grill, but also in mentoring and guiding our culinary team. Your responsibilities will be multifaceted, encompassing both hands-on cooking and managerial tasks. You’ll ensure that each dish embodies the essence of our vibrant local produce and seafood, reflecting the Company’s commitment to fresh, sustainable fare. Your role is key in maintaining the high standards of our kitchen, contributing to menu development, and ensuring every meal is a harmonious blend of tradition and innovation.
- Oversee kitchen operations, mentor staff, and ensure exceptional culinary standards.
- Collaborate in menu development, focusing on creativity with local ingredients.
- Maintain kitchen safety and hygiene, manage inventory, and uphold cost controls.
- Sous-chefs, specialist chefs and chefs usually require several years of experience in commercial food preparation.
- Cook’s trade certification or equivalent credentials, training and experience are required.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Other trades certificate or diploma or equivalent experience in cooking and related culinary arts, general.
- Food preparation/professional cooking/kitchen assistant.
- Food and Sanitation Certificate
2 to less than 5 years in a relevant culinary position.
Supervise activities of specialist chefs, chefs, cooks and other kitchen workers.
Demonstrate new cooking techniques and new equipment to cooking staff
Prepare and cook complete meals or speciality foods, such as pastries, sauces, soups, salads, vegetables and meat, poultry and fish dishes, and create decorative food displays for special events such as banquets
Instruct cooks in the preparation, cooking, garnishing and presentation of food
Create new recipes
May plan menus and requisition food and kitchen supplies
May prepare and cook meals or speciality foods.
May requisition food and kitchen supplies.
Supervise cooks and other kitchen staff.
- Leadership skills
- Culinary expertise
- Attention to detail
- Communication skills
- Organizational skills
- Stress tolerance
- Problem-solving skills
- Passion for cooking
- Solid experience and success as a sous-chef.
- Understanding of cookware, bakeware, and cutting utensils.
- Knowledge of various cooking techniques.
- Adherence to sanitation guidelines.
- Physical and mental stamina for a demanding kitchen environment.
- Committed to quality with a keen attention to detail.
- Ability to multitask and accept criticism constructively.
- Indoor work is standard.
- Uniforms such as aprons or jackets and safety attire like gloves are typically worn.
- Exposure to kitchen hazards, including hot and cold temperatures, is common.
- The environment can be noisy and may include distractions.
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities:
- A keen eye for detail in a fast-paced setting.
- Handling of heavy loads may be required.
- Overtime work as needed.
- A physically demanding role that includes standing for extended periods and working under pressure.
Ability to lift more than 23 kg (50 lbs).
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com